DISCLAMER: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small compensation when you purchase through my links.
A cake made with courgette might sound unusual, but the courgette gives the cake a lovely moist texture. This recipe uses dark chocolate and almonds, the dark chocolate makes it deliciously rich the almonds add a beautiful slightly nutty crunch.
We always have a glut of courgettes at this time of year, the more you pick the faster they seem to grow! I found out last year that you can freeze grated courgette without blanching them. We grate and weigh out a few extra 225g portions and pop in the freezer ready to make this delicious cake again later in the year.
CHOCOLATE, COURGETTE AND ALMOND TRAYBAKE
- 200 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 115 g caster sugar
- 170 ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 225 g courgettes grated
- 170 g plain chocolate
- 60 g sliced almonds
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4
- Line and grease a 25cm x 25cm baking tray
- Mix the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt together in a bowl
- Add the eggs and the oil to the dry ingredients and mix well
- Squeeze as much of the liquid out of the courgette as possible, using a clean tea-towel
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 10 seconds until melted.
- Add the melted chocolate and the grated courgette to the bowl, and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin
- Bake for approx 50 minutes.
This has to be my favourite way of eating courgettes! What is your favourite way?