DISCLAMER: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small compensation when you purchase through my links.
We all love homebaked cookies in our house, and this is one of our favourite recipes! It’s one we have adapted from this ‘millies cookies’ recipe, as we were looking for a more budget-friendly & slightly healthier version. Our version contains less brown sugar but still just enough to keep the delicious flavour that makes them hard to resist. We also add more flour for a slightly chunkier cookie. The result is delicious, slightly crunchy on the outside, but still beautifully soft on the inside. Our version is more cost effective, a tad healthier and still irresistible!
These are quick to make and cook and are definitely best eaten warm. They store for up to a week in an airtight container (not that they every last that long!) They are perfect to pop in a packed lunch too!
Our top thrifty tips.
We use Aldi essentials milk chocolate at 30p per 100g. You can easily chop into small chunks using a knife, and its much more cost effective than buying chocolate chips.
Why not double the recipe and freeze half the mix for later? When you reach step 4, just roll into a log shape, place in a container and freeze for another day. When you are ready to bake, slice off 1cm rounds and bake as usual.
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 125 g margarine
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 275 g self-rasing flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150g milk chocolate chopped into small chunks
- Preheat the oven to 180c or Gas Mark 4
- Mix the margarine and sugars together in a bowl
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix well
- Sift in the flour and salt, and then add the chocolate chunks
- Place small walnut sized balls on a baking tray lined with baking paper or a silicone baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies are just starting to brown. They might look slightly doughy when you remove but as long as the top has set they are usually ready. Take out of the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
Have you made these? I would love to know what you think! You can find me on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, or leave a comment below…
Disclaimer: This recipe won’t save any money, due to all the cookies vanishing shortly after they leave the oven! They don’t last long!